Reporting to the Estimating Supervisor, the Estimator is responsible for providing Estimating services to support the Estimating department, Business Development and Project Management Team.
The Estimator will be part of the Estimating and Project team environments, and provide and coordinate full estimating services on small to large scale, simple to complex work and various types of contracts. This includes the preparation of contract proposal estimates for one or more disciplines. The Estimator will assist with Conceptual Budgets, Design-Build Proposals and Hard Estimates, including quantity takeoffs, unit pricing, and sub-contractor pricing. The Estimator will be part of the tender call and review of Supplier/Sub-Contractor quotes. The Estimator will have sufficient knowledge of all MakLoc Construction software and be able to operate and understand ProContractor MX.
- Maintain positive Sub-Contractors/Supplier relations;
- Aid in Sub-Contractor Pre-Qualifications;
- Ability to accurately and promptly complete quantity take-offs;
- Ability to properly review sub-contractor bids for completeness and accuracy of scope; and identify gaps in scope which need to be covered;
- Maintain unit price and productivity knowledge and database;
- Manage accurate and complete estimates;
- Take part in Client meetings when required;
- Confer with Engineers, Architects and Owners on changes and adjustments to cost estimates and assist in the preparation of studies, materials methods, recommendations and costs estimates as required;
- Preparation of proposals and estimates for final approval prior to their presentation to potential Clients at bid closing;
- Ability to properly prepare proposals in a way that best conveys the scope of work being provided;
- Take part in Project Team meetings;
- Maintain Career Progression plan with professional development;
- Adhere to MakLoc Construction policies and procedures;
- Ability to perform basic internet and Intranet functions;
- Maintain and upgrade estimating software as required.
- Maintain hard/soft copies of all job estimate files.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple bid workflows and tasks efficiently and concurrently.
- Ability and willingness to manage and achieve deadlines for completion of assigned tasks.
- Comfortable working in a team environment.
- Adapt to changing job requirements.
- Ability to navigate client bid submittal programs.
- Knowledge of scheduling packages and ability to build accurate schedules.
- Assist in performing accurate quantity takeoffs both manually and electronically.
- Communicate professionally through verbal and written methods.
- Develop Sub-Contractor work scopes for tendering.
- Identify bonding and insurance requirements.
- Take part in tender closings.
- Understand Client requirements and incorporate.
- Ability to visualize end products without drawings.
- Ability to schematically design project from clients requirements.
- Able to derive alternate designs for cost and/or time savings.
- Ability to analyze risk associated to project.
- Ability to review and interpret contract documents.
- Ability to perform and excel in a fast paced and high demand environment.
- Ability to retain knowledge and repeat instruction without assistance.
- Motivated to learn and develop professionally.
- Superior problem-solving skills with excellent organization and time management.
- Knowledge of MS Office and Bluebeam REVU.
- Knowledge of Construction Estimating and Take-off software, preferably ProContractor MX.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Post Secondary Construction education or equal.
- Minimum 3 years experience estimating on Commercial, Institutional and/or Industrial projects in the Alberta Market, preferably the Edmonton Area.
- Estimating and costing of structural concrete, conventional steel construction and pre-engineered building systems with an emphasis on Design-Build and Full Turn Key Hard Bid projects will be considered an asset.
- Familiar with Mechanical and Electrical systems.
- Familiar with estimating techniques, all Engineering disciplines, cost control systems and accounts.
- On site experience is an asset.
- Experience in the Oil & Gas sector is an asset.