Check the architect, design-builder and general contractor’s references. It is important to ask the following questions:
- What are the limits of your professional liability coverage (covers design liability issues)?
- What are the limits of your all-risk insurance (covers the building while under construction)?
- What is your safety record? Have them provide references of projects they have completed in the last three years of comparable size/scope.
- What are your bonding limits and can you bond the job? Obtain the bonding agent as a reference.
- Is the surety company AAA rated?
- Have you ever defaulted on a contract or bond?
- Can you provide resumes on the design personnel, field superintendents, and project managers that will be working on this project?